Call for Help! (Call to Adventure?)

This forum is for focused discussions on The Collected Lectures of Joseph Campbell. Each lecture has its own dedicated conversation.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

David_Kudler
Working Associate

Call for Help! (Call to Adventure?)

Post by David_Kudler »

To satisfying your requests, we are doing our best to get the remaining lectures in Series I and II of the Joseph Campbell Audio Collection out in a timely fashion.

In order to do this we need some help.

One of the most time-consuming steps in the process of preparing these recordings for download is creating an accurate transcript, both for posting on the site, and (more importantly) for allowing our editors to work on the recording and to separate it into tracks.

That's where you come in! We need volunteers to help us transcribe these wonderful lectures. Each lecture is between 50 and 90 minutes. The transcription is somewhat time-consuming, as I said, but is rewarding, and you can complete it at your own pace.

You would be the first associate to get to listen to these new recordings, you would get the satisfaction of helping to bring them to the public—and you would a copy of the final product, not just of the lecture you worked on, but of the complete volume on which you worked!

If you would like to be one of our magical helpers, please respond here or email me at publications@jcf.org

Thanks!
David Kudler<br>Publications<br>Joseph Campbell Foundation<br>publications at jcf dot org

cwooley
Associate

Post by cwooley »

I would like to participate, as I have been a Joseph Campbell fan for many years. However I am in college and going into midterms. Please hold my name in reserve, as I will become active in the project at the end of this semester.

Sincerely,

C.Wooley

kayaklady
Associate

Post by kayaklady »

Hello,

I do not have any experience in transcription but would give it a shot if you are willing to train me?

Sincerely,

D. Maupin

Shaheda
Associate

Transcription of Audio Recordings

Post by Shaheda »

I would love to Volunteer for transcription of Joe's Audio Recordings.

Moreover, I am looking for JC' s speech that he delivered in Montreal Canada.
I came across this speech almost 10 years ago in a tiny book in a Library in Montreal, Canada, and have never seen it anywhere else.

At this moment I am enthusiastically working to form a MRT in Montreal, and my hope is to Open the first Round Table Meeting with an Audio Recording of His Montreal Speech.

Any Help with this Recording would be appreciated.

Shaheda

Myrtle
Associate

Re: Transcription of Audio Recordings

Post by Myrtle »

Shaheda wrote:...I am looking for JC' s speech that he delivered in Montreal Canada.
I came across this speech almost 10 years ago in a tiny book in a Library in Montreal, Canada, and have never seen it anywhere else.

At this moment I am enthusiastically working to form a MRT in Montreal, and my hope is to Open the first Round Table Meeting with an Audio Recording of His Montreal Speech.

Any Help with this Recording would be appreciated.

Shaheda

Shaheda,

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but in the "Notes" section (pg. 163) of the book Pathways to Bliss (published in 2004) it says:
Chapter II
This section is based primarily on a lecture entitled "Man and Myth" that Campbell delivered on October 16, 1972, at the Canadian university Loyola of Montreal (L435). An audio-recording has been released as part of The Joseph Campbell Audio Collection, vol. IV: Man and Myth. A monograph, also entitled Man and Myth, which was based both on this lecture and on a seminar entitled "Imagination and Relation to Theological Enquiry" (L436), was released by the Department of Theological Studies of Loyola of Montreal (Montreal: Editions Desclee & Cie/Les Editions Bellarmin, 1973).
Myrtle

kibodhi
Associate

Editing/Transcribing

Post by kibodhi »

Are you still in need of people to do transcribing? I have lots of experience in this area, and am keen to help - contact me if interested.

Shaheda
Associate

Post by Shaheda »

Mytle wrote: 'Chapter II
This section is based primarily on a lecture entitled "Man and Myth" that Campbell delivered on October 16, 1972, at the Canadian university Loyola of Montreal (L435). An audio-recording has been released as part of The Joseph Campbell Audio Collection, vol. IV: Man and Myth. A monograph, also entitled Man and Myth, which was based both on this lecture and on a seminar entitled "Imagination and Relation to Theological Enquiry" (L436), was released by the Department of Theological Studies of Loyola of Montreal (Montreal: Editions Desclee & Cie/Les Editions Bellarmin, 1973).'

Thank you so very much Mytle for this reference..I'll also check Loyola Campus because as I recall that lecture/speech/seminar contained much more than what was in Chap II & Vol. IV Man & Myth......Although If I don't find anything new at Loyola Campus , then Chap II of Pathways to Bliss & Audio Recording: Man & Myth would be exceedlingly helpful.

Again, Many Thanks.

Shaheda

Shaheda
Associate

Post by Shaheda »

Hullo Myrtle,

Thanks again, and here is something to share, and that is that I found the Introduction and exact passage from Joe Campbell’s Loyola Lecture, Montreal, Quebec, 1972 at a Library in Montreal. ------Here Is Joe’ s Introduction, wherein he talks about the magic of the City of Montreal:

‘Thank you father Maloney for that very kind introduction, thank you also, Mr. Duder.
I can’t begin without saying how flattered I am to have been invited to this occasion and how challenged by the invitation and how simply delighted I am in what I have discovered of this perfectly beautiful city. I am housed in the Queen Elizabeth Hotel and that Alladin’s cave of wonder that I discovered underneath has enchanted me all afternoon. Fortunately, I came without much money, and I haven’t done what I would otherwise have done, exhausting my treasury in buying presents for everybody I know. Even the word ‘Esso’ seemed magical when I stepped into the street and saw it displayed at one of the buildings…’

Also, of immense interest in this very book was Michael Spicer's anlaysis of Joe Campbell's lecture...If you like I'll post excerpts from it next time.

Shaheda

Myrtle
Associate

Post by Myrtle »

Thanks for posting Campbell's Introduction Shaheda. I really appreciate it.

Yes, I would also like to read the excerpts.

Shaheda
Associate

Post by Shaheda »

Hullo Myrtle, Here are a few lines:

Excerpt from Michael Spicer’s Analysis of Joe Campbell’s Lecture ---Montreal, QC -Oct. 16, 1972.

‘Montreal is indeed a magic city Its consciousness is at times surprising---the interrelation of many visions, the historic interplay of two contrasting cultures, French & English. Montreal is an island in the middle of the powerful St. Lawrence River.
Joseph Campbell came from Manhattan, the island at the mouth of the dramatic Hudson River Culture to Montreal, that island in the centre of the magic St. Lawrence River culture. Campbell saw what many never see….

In coming to Montreal he met in a deep sense the Beast of Canada---that field of sacred force in which the French and English are reflected…… (more later)

Shaheda

Ercan2121
Associate

Post by Ercan2121 »

By the way, Montréal -s'il vous plait :-)
We're still writing the city's name with an accent.

The saddest thing is that new generations no more
learn and speak French -they say? Is-it true?

Shaheda
Associate

Post by Shaheda »

No Ercan2121 -- Montreal is a 99% Bilingual city. Since the Trudeau Act, all French Speaking KG students onwards must immerse themselves in English and vice versa. However, they say that in certain parts of Quebec, the old folks are still Exclusively French.

In my next post, I'll cover Michael Spicer's ccmmentary on Joe Campbells' 1972 Lecture..I found it very enjoyable and stimulating.

Shaheda

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Great contributions! I'd also like to thank you for posting that intro, Shaheda. I just sent David an email, so he'll probably comment soon.

Cheers,
Clemsy
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

Shaheda
Associate

Post by Shaheda »

Thanks for reading, appreciating, and communicating your encouraging and sincere comments. I have been a bit lazy and really not devoted myself to posting the rest of Spicer's comments. I will do very shortly.

Any ideas on how to promote my advertisment re: Montreal Mythological Round Table? So Clemsy, if you know of people in the Montreal area looking to join the JC_MRT, please pass the message that I have posted on Craigslist and Kijjiji et al.

Thanks.

Shaheda

Ercan2121
Associate

Post by Ercan2121 »

Shaheda wrote:

No Ercan2121 -- Montreal is a 99% Bilingual city. Since the Trudeau Act, all French Speaking KG students onwards must immerse themselves in English and vice versa. However, they say that in certain parts of Quebec, the old folks are still Exclusively French.
Thank you so much for the info, Shaheda. You know, people of the Old Continent
don't always have a clear idea about Americas. They go to Montréal, ask a student
an address in French and when she replies in English; they decide that French language
is forgotten :-)