Call for Help! (Call to Adventure?)

This forum is for focused discussions on The Collected Lectures of Joseph Campbell. Each lecture has its own dedicated conversation.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Shaheda
Associate

Joseph Campbell—Scholar among Scholars

Post by Shaheda »

Joseph Campbell—Scholar among Scholars

(Few Notes on his Montreal Lecture Oct. 16, 1972 – Michael Spicer et al)

Joe Campbell in an articulate language speaks of what I would call the civilizing function of the imagination. Campbell, along with authors such as Northrup Fryye, Paul Ricoeur, Gaston Bachelard and Rollo May, is aware of the constructing dimension of the human imagination for society. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Joseph Campbell out of a long research into the mythologies of human development and literature, furthers the discoveries of C. G. Jung in a more literary manner. Like Eric Neumann, Campbell continues a Jungian research into the psychological and civilizing functions of myths. Joseph Campbell with the simplicity of his language captures our imagination into the world of myth, He in fact tells the story of the development of the human imagination----the history of myth, the history of human identity, ,,,,he speaks of the spiritual reality of God in man!

A DARING SCHOLARSHIP

With a daring scholarship, Campbell raises again the radical (19th century) question regarding myth, man and god

(to be continued)

Shaheda
Associate

Joseph Campbell A Daring Scholarship

Post by Shaheda »

A DARING SCHOLARSHIP

With a daring scholarship, Campbell raises again the radical (19th century) question regarding myth, man and god

Campbell spoke to us at the Loyola Campus concerning Man & Myth. He also spoke about the inner journies about societies and at the same time the inner journey of each individual. He played with mythical archetypes. More than this he spoke about the mystical and its place in our Einsteinian post industrial civilization. This is why at the end of his lecture he received a standing ovation! He was in tune with the high consciousness of our magic city ----Montreal.

(to be continued)

Ercan2121
Associate

Post by Ercan2121 »

Canadian soil's very fertile, by the way, for anyone wanting to
learn about Shamanism, a field that Joseph Campbell wrote intensively.
Here's the link to Canadian Centre for Shamanic Studies for anyone
interested in Shamanism at all levels;
http://www.shamanismcanada.com/index.html

Mythaloticus
Associate

Post by Mythaloticus »

This is great. One of the reasons I finally became a jcf associate was to find out what the holdup was on new audio lectures. Please add me as someone who will happily transcribe. I'm a programmer and not a professional transcriber, but I have spell check. :D

jjackson
Associate

Transcriptions

Post by jjackson »

I'm available at the moment and can start right away.

hangin
Associate

Transcribing Volunteer

Post by hangin »

I would love to help. Since my future wife first took a mythology tv course in 1989 during my first year of college Joseph Campbell described and explained myth in such a way that fostered what my lived experience had already shown and continued to grow ever since; how to live a human life.

Blissfully yours,

Dave

bubblesort
Associate

Post by bubblesort »

I'm new here but if you still need help with the transcriptions I would be happy to help.

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Shaheda wrote:...Campbell saw what many never see….

In coming to Montreal he met in a deep sense the Beast of Canada---that field of sacred force in which the French and English are reflected…… (more later)

Shaheda
I especially appreciate the concept of the "...sacred force in which the French and English are reflected..."

The contrasts and comparisons between such co-existing cultures are positively compelling.

~

Max Fairfax
Associate

Post by Max Fairfax »

Looks like there has been no activity here for a while. As a brand new associate anxious to establish credibility, I volunteer for - indeed REQUEST - an opportunity to contribute by providing transcription(s). Please let me know what's next!

-Max

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Hello Max and welcome here.

I'm sure Clemsy our head moderator will be glad to be of service when he gets a moment in helping to direct you in your most kind offer to help. Curious that I saw your post when just this morning a " Mythblast " notice was posted about a recent gathering that was held in NYC and a similar subject of translation was brought up which you may find of interest. ( The point here being that part of the mission of the JCF of furthering the exposure of Joseph Campbell's work is accomplished by the efforts of thoughtful individuals such as yourself. ) I will pass this along to him and I am sure he will check back with you. In the meantime here is the notice I mentioned:

http://www.jcf.org/new/index.php?catego ... icleid=139

Cheers :)
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Hi Max and welcome! I'll send your offer along to David Kudler, the JCF's managing editor and see what the need is right now.

Thanks!

Clemsy
Forum Moderator
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

There's some enthusiasm for your offer, Max! Stand by!

rubygene1
Associate

Post by rubygene1 »

I'd also like to volunteer some time by working on the transcriptions. I'm actually very grateful for the (possible) opportunity!

Keep me in the loop as things move along.

Sincerely,

rubygene1.

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Hi rubygene1 and welcome!

Awesome!

I've already set up Max with Jimmy Maxwell, who's leading this project and he will be very glad for the help. Please private message me your email address and I'll contact him.

Thanks again!

Clemsy
Forum Moderator

ParticleBoson66
Associate

Post by ParticleBoson66 »

If you are still in need of help I would be more than happy to lend a hand.

I would love nothing more than to help make the works of Joseph Campbell more accessible to others. Danke schoen.