Welcome to the Collected Works Books Forum!

This is a forum to discuss specific questions, thoughts and issues raised in the books (paper and electronic) that are part of The Collected Works of Joseph Campbell.

Moderator: David_Kudler

Which Joseph Campbell book would you most like to discuss?

Thou Art That
17%
Essay collections (Flight of the Wild Gander and Mythic Dimension)
4%
Inner Reaches of Outer Space
4%
Asian Journals (Baksheesh + Brahman and Sake + Satori)
4%
Joyce Books (Mythic Worlds and Skeleton Key)
No votes
Myths of Light
9%
The Hero's Journey
13%
Pathways to Bliss
4%
Hero with a Thousand Faces
35%
Myths to Live By
9%

Total votes: 23

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

My interest in the words of the great teacher is never completely satisfied. Thanks for all you do.

~

kewing
Associate

historical atlas question & new publication: goddesses?

Post by kewing »

1) I'm not an anthropologist, but I've read of the controversy over the Tasaday. Will the digital version of the Historical Atlas - "Living People of the Equatorial Forest - The Ancestral Caves of the Tasaday" section - be edited in any way to address this?

2) I don't see advance word on jcf.org about Goddesses: Mysteries of the Feminine Divine which Amazon has for a November release. Is Mr. Kudler the editor? I look especially forward to the possibility of expansion on Amaterasu, Shinto, et al. (Hero and Sake & Satori introduced me to this compelling Sun Goddess myth and the graceful spiritual tradition behind it). I apologize in advance if I've missed something or I'm off base regarding a new book.

David_Kudler
Working Associate

Re: historical atlas question & new publication: goddess

Post by David_Kudler »

Great questions.
kewing wrote:1) I'm not an anthropologist, but I've read of the controversy over the Tasaday. Will the digital version of the Historical Atlas - "Living People of the Equatorial Forest - The Ancestral Caves of the Tasaday" section - be edited in any way to address this?
After much debate, we decided to leave the section on the Tasaday in, but to mark it very clearly as no longer considered factual. We left it in both to reflect the original work, and because, while the Tasaday were not what they appeared to be, some of Campbell's thoughts were nonetheless worth keeping.

2) I don't see advance word on jcf.org about Goddesses: Mysteries of the Feminine Divine which Amazon has for a November release. Is Mr. Kudler the editor? I look especially forward to the possibility of expansion on Amaterasu, Shinto, et al. (Hero and Sake & Satori introduced me to this compelling Sun Goddess myth and the graceful spiritual tradition behind it). I apologize in advance if I've missed something or I'm off base regarding a new book.
We're very excited about Goddesses, which is due out in a bit over two months! You'll be seeing announcements here soon. The volume was edited by the head of OPUS Archives, Dr. Safron Rossi, while I oversaw the project as the managing editor of the Collected Works series.
David Kudler<br>Publications<br>Joseph Campbell Foundation<br>publications at jcf dot org

kewing
Associate

Post by kewing »

Is the image of Siva Nataraja on p.302 of Baksheesh mistakenly reversed? Compared to Campbell's description - drum in extended right hand, etc. - in Hero, it appears so. Sorry for being tedious....

David_Kudler
Working Associate

Post by David_Kudler »

kewing wrote:Is the image of Siva Nataraja on p.302 of Baksheesh mistakenly reversed? Compared to Campbell's description - drum in extended right hand, etc. - in Hero, it appears so. Sorry for being tedious....
Not tedious at all! Well spotted.

Looks like the sort of change that a designer made to make the page aesthetically pleasing, not realizing that the orientation of the picture made a difference.

We're in the process of preparing a paperback edition; I'll make sure to pass the correction along!
David Kudler<br>Publications<br>Joseph Campbell Foundation<br>publications at jcf dot org

kewing
Associate

Post by kewing »

David, Myths of Light, (p.120, paperback first printing), contains the phrase "The horseless rider is the mere body without the directing spirit." Should it not read, instead, "...riderless horse...?" If you've already noted this, I apologize. Thanks.

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Finally got my copy of the Goddess book. Campbell dug really deep to uncover a treasure trove.

Good job, you two! The Walter and David team turn out excellent work. The professor would be proud.

I'm enjoying every page.

~

rcpmc123
Associate

Post by rcpmc123 »

This is my first post. I have enjoyed viewing everyone's posts and links.

I would like to ask a question: Did Joseph Campbell write or comment on Kabbalah, and if so could you direct me to the appropriate book or link?

thank you for your help :)

romansh
Associate

Post by romansh »

Funnily my favourite was not listed (voted for Myths of Light)

I know the Power of Myth might not technically be considered a book ... but the coffee table version is definitely my favourite.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

Hi rcpmc123!

I checked my own library and could only find passing mention of the Kabbalah in a few books. I'll send your query along though and see if I can find something for you.

Cheers,
Clemsy
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas