Here's the place to get the help you're looking for!
Ready to get the ebook? Click here to donate and download!
We will post the FAQs and answers here, but feel free to ask more questions below.
- How do I read my ebook?
Collected Works Ebooks can be loaded onto and read on a huge variety of ereader hardware and software configurations--more than we could possibly provide informed advice for.
Here are some specific instructions that might be of use:
Don't yet have an ereader? Here are some ereader applications for various computers, phones, tablets, etc.
- What formats are you releasing the Collected Works ebooks in?
Currently, we are issuing them as ePub (aka iBooks) and .mobi (aka Kindle) files, which are readable by the vast majority of e-readers and e-reader applications. If you are having problems loading your ebook onto your ereader, or if you would like to request that we issue the books in another format, ask below.
When you go to donate on our site and want to request an ebook, be sure to click on the format that you want before clicking the "Add to Cart" button.
- Where can I buy Collected Works ebooks?
Initially, all ebooks that we issue will be available exclusively through our onsite contributions download page. Once our associates have had a chance to receive the book as our thank you for a donation, we will allow sales through retail outlets, such as Apple's iBookstore and Amazon's Kindle Store.
- Where is the download link, now that I've donated?
- Go to http://www.jcf.org/new/contribute
- Click on the link at the top of the page that reads Log In
- Once you've entered your username and password, click on the link that reads My Account
- Once you're there, you'll see your order; click on the view button, and you'll go the the invoice/download screen. There should be a button next to the file that reads (surprisingly) Download. Click it. Your download should start immediately.
- I requested the ePub version when I needed the .mobi/Kindle (or vice-versa)! What should I do?
Email us at email@example.com. Include the word VERSION in the subject line. We'll get you set up.
- Why are there weird squiggles, boxes and/or question marks in the text of my ebook?
The text of the Collected Works ebook editions was set using Unicode fonts. Any Unicode font should display the proper characters, including characters that include unusual diacritical marks, such as Ś or Ƈ. (If you do not see the two preceding characters, your web browser is using a non-Unicode font)
See if you can set your e-reader application's default setting to a Unicode-compliant font, such as Times, Palatino or Helvetica. Some e-readers also have a preference setting for whether to display Unicode or non-standard characters; turn this on. Finally, some e-readers (i.e., Adobe Digital Editions) do not support Unicode. While you can read your Collected Works ebook without Unicode support, you might consider using a different application.
- I've had problems checking out/adding an ebook to my cart/downloading. Help!
The software we're using to handle donations and provide premiums has performed brilliantly in the huge majority of cases--but there are times when even the Old Testament deity on our desktops falls short. If you're having trouble ordering, checking out or downloading, try using a different browser. In particular, our users seem to have had the best results with Safari and Firefox.
If your problem persists, please contact us immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your email, please put DOWNLOADS in the subject line, and include as much information as you can: the time and date when you tried to order, your account name/email address, the browser software that you're using, the operating system of your device--even your IP address (if you know it). The more information we have, the better we'll be able to assist you--and to make sure that your path through the dark forest isn't followed by others.