The Mythic Dimension

This is a forum to discuss specific questions, thoughts and issues raised in the books (paper and electronic) that are part of The Collected Works of Joseph Campbell.

Moderator: David_Kudler

David_Kudler
Working Associate

The Mythic Dimension

Post by David_Kudler »

The 12 eclectic essays in The Mythic Dimension: Selected Essays 1958–1987 explore myth and its fascinating context in the human imagination — in the arts, literature, and culture, as well as in everyday life. The eleventh title in New World Library’s Collected Works of Joseph Campbell, this attractive cloth edition features pieces that exhibit Campbell’s trademark thoughtfulness and intelligence.

These essays explore the topic for which Campbell was best known: the many connections between myth and history, psychology, and the daily world. Drawing from such varied sources as Thomas Mann, the occult, Jungian and Freudian theory, and the Grateful Dead, these dynamic writings elucidate the many ways in which myth touches our lives, our psyches, and our relationship to the world.

In July, 2011, the JCF released the first essay in this collection, "Comparative Mythology as an Introduction to Cross-Cultural Studies" along with the reading list from Campbell's famed Introduction to Mythology course (which appears as an appendix) as its first ebook "single": The Mythic Dimension - "Comparative Mythology"
David Kudler<br>Publications<br>Joseph Campbell Foundation<br>publications at jcf dot org

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

My second favorite after Myths to Live By. :D
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.

David_Kudler
Working Associate

Post by David_Kudler »

Neoplato wrote:My second favorite after Myths to Live By. :D
This is a wonderful collection of essays--and one that's fairly little-known. It was never promoted at all by its first publisher, HarperCollins, and when we published the new edition in 2008, it was quickly overshadowed by the release of the new edition of Hero with a Thousand Faces. But there truly are some terrific essays here.

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato »

This is a wonderful collection of essays--and one that's fairly little-known.-David
Interesting, I think this was the first Joseph Campbell book I actually read after watching POM and Mythos I &II. I believe I read this first, then "Myths to Live By" and then "Hero".

I believe I have the first edition since I got it from a used book store. I'll have to check later.
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.

Ercan2121
Associate

Post by Ercan2121 »

Honestly, I don't think that 'the Hero with a Thousand Faces' is the right choice
if one seeks inspiration (too long and academical and so on). That's one of the
reasons we need new alternatives that can match the taste of all generations :D