Collected Works Ebook FAQs and Troubleshooting

This is a forum to discuss specific questions, thoughts and issues raised in the books (paper and electronic) that are part of The Collected Works of Joseph Campbell.

Moderator: David_Kudler

Ercan2121
Associate

Post by Ercan2121 »

Thank you, David.
My download's now
complete.
Sometimes I think
that I'm too old for
latest technology but
you know we all need
that sense of bliss
now and then.
Warmest greetings from
another corner of the
world :-)

David_Kudler
Working Associate

Post by David_Kudler »

tdy wrote:hello - I am trying to make a contribution and receive the download of "Myths to live by", but there is a technical problem. When I click on the "Add this to my cart" button, nothing happens.

I have no problem in downloading the preview, or in adding other items to my cart.

there is the page with the problem button:

http://www.jcf.org/new/contribute/index ... cts_id=215

thank you, Thomas
Thomas, that's very strange. Have you tried again? If you're still unable to download the file, let me know.

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy »

David, I loaded Lucifox for Firefox, and it works just fine after reloading the browser. I haven't found an easy way to use Google Chrome as an eReader, however. I could only find an app that uploads the file to open by a free online service. Unwieldy.
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas

David_Kudler
Working Associate

Post by David_Kudler »

Clemsy wrote:David, I loaded Lucifox for Firefox, and it works just fine after reloading the browser. I haven't found an easy way to use Google Chrome as an eReader, however. I could only find an app that uploads the file to open by a free online service. Unwieldy.
Yeah. But at least it works!

By the way, Here is a list of ways to read ePub files from ePublishersWeekly.net. Here is another one from the MobileRead.com wiki. In case you're still in search. ;)

gailgreenhhi
Associate

Post by gailgreenhhi »

David,

Finally, I was able to download the preview. When will I receive the email response for downloading the entire book?

Thank you, David

David_Kudler
Working Associate

Post by David_Kudler »

gailgreenhhi wrote:David,

Finally, I was able to download the preview. When will I receive the email response for downloading the entire book?

Thank you, David
I'm sorry to say it, Gail, but I don't show any transaction for you. I see that you signed up for an account, but I don't see a check-out. My email is below; if you know that you completed the transaction, I'll need to know when you tried to complete the donation, and as many other details as you can provide. If you don't mind telling me what web browser you are using (including the version number) and what kind of computer you're using, I'd appreciate it.

I'm assuming that you tried to check out, but it never went through. You should have gone to a screen immediately after you completed the checkout process that showed what you had donated and what you had asked for; next to the ebook there would have been a download button. You would also have received--again, immediately, or as nearly as the internet could provide--a confirmation email with a link to a detailed invoice, which is to say, that same screen with the download button.
David Kudler<br>Publications<br>Joseph Campbell Foundation<br>publications at jcf dot org

afdarsey
Associate

Link expired yet I was unable to download file.

Post by afdarsey »

Hello,

When I clicked on the download button I was taken to a page asking me to become an associate. When I right clicked on the download button I didn't have an option for "Save to disk". Now the link on my invoice page has expired. Please help thank you in advance.

David_Kudler
Working Associate

Post by David_Kudler »

We had a rather embarrassing problem; your response was greater than our server could handle! We've changed the settings and battened down the hatches.

If you attempted to download Myths to Live By and were told that you couldn't, go to your account, log in, click on 'My Account' and try again! It should work now.

Thanks for your patience
David Kudler<br>Publications<br>Joseph Campbell Foundation<br>publications at jcf dot org

David_Kudler
Working Associate

To load your .mobi file onto your Kindle

Post by David_Kudler »

We distribute our ebooks as Mobipocket (.mobi) files, which are in fact the same format as Amazon's Kindle (.azw) files, and can be loaded onto Kindles, as well as other PalmReader-based ebook reader software.

Kindles do not currently read ePub files. If you requested the incorrect version by mistake, email us at downloads@jcf.org, and we will reset your order.

To add a Mobipocket Ebook to your Kindle:
  • Turn your Kindle on
  • Connect the Kindle to your computer using the USB cable that came with your Kindle
  • Drag and drop the ".mobi" Ebook file into the documents folder on your Kindle
  • When the USB activity indicator on your Kindle stops flashing, "Safely Remove Mass Storage Device" (Windows) or "Eject" (Mac) the Kindle from your computer
  • When the USB activity indicator on your Kindle stops flashing, unplug the USB cable from your Kindle
  • The Ebook should now appear in your Kindle library
You can also load Kindle for PC or Kindle for Mac onto your computer. Set the application to use the same account as your Kindle, and make sure that WhisperSync is turned on (as it is by default). Add the file to your desktop application's library, and WhisperSync will automatically add the file to your Kindle.

David_Kudler
Working Associate

To load your .epub file onto your iOS device (iPad/iPhone)

Post by David_Kudler »

Apple's iBooks is a great application for reading ebooks in ePub or PDF format.

It does not currently read books in MobiPocket (.mobi) format. If you requested the incorrect version by mistake, email us at downloads@jcf.org, and we will reset your order.

On your iOS device, if you request the ebook file from jcf.org and click the download button, Mobile Safari will give you the option of downloading the file directly into your iBooks library.

If you have downloaded the file to your Windows or Mac computer, you need to have iTunes 9.1 or later installed.

You can load the ebook file that you have downloaded from jcf.org onto your iOS device (iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch) by following these steps:
  • Make sure that you have the Books item checked in the General tab of your iTunes preferences
  • To add the ebook to your iTunes library, drag the file onto the iTunes icon, or select Add to Library... from the File menu), browse to the file's location, select the file, and click on the Choose button
  • Connect your iOS device to your computer
  • The book should automatically be added to your iOS device's iBooks library--and if iBooks wasn't installed before, it will be now
  • If the book wasn't downloaded to your iOS device, select your device in iTunes, click on the Books tab, and make sure that Sync Books is selected and that you have selected All Books, or that you have checked the box next to the JCF title you want to read
Last edited by David_Kudler on Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

David_Kudler
Working Associate

Ebook software for a variety of operating systems

Post by David_Kudler »

Here is a by no-means exhaustive list of free ereader applications for various operating systems:
  • iBooks - ePub (iOS)
  • [url=hhttp://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_ ... 1000301301]Kindle (app)[/url] - .mobi (Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, BlackBerry, Windows Mobile)
  • Nook (app) - ePub (Windows, Mac, iOS, BlackBerry, Android)
  • Calibre - reads ePub, .mobi, and many more (Windows, Mac, Linux)
  • Adobe Digital Editions - ePub (with limitations) (Windows, Mac)
  • Stanza - ePub (images don't display) (Windows, Mac, iOS)
  • AIReader - ePub, .mobi, others (Windows Mobile, Windows)
  • ePubReader ePub (Window, Mac, Linux - this is a Firefox add-on that allows you to open ePub files in Firefox)
  • FBReader - ePub, .mobi, others (Windows, Mac (on a separate site), Linux, Unix, Android -- this is a Java-based application)
  • CoolReader - ePub (Windows, Linux, Android)
  • Bookworm ePub (universal - Web-based)
  • IbisReader ePub (universal - Web-base)
If you already have an ereader or ereader application, we suggest that you visit the customer service for that hardware or software. Here is a rundown of applications for reading ebooks on your desktop, laptop or mobile device from MobileReads.com. If you need more information, consider visiting a site like MobileReads.com's wiki or Wikipedia's ebook page.
NOTE: None of these sites is in any way affiliated with JCF.org; we provide the links not as an endorsement, but merely as a service to our associates.

hprochazka
Associate

Do your eBooks use DRM?

Post by hprochazka »

I would really like to purchase the Joseph Campell Companion eBook through your site, but before I do so, I want to be sure that the eBooks don't use any form of DRM (Digital Restrictions Management) as copy protection.

I don't buy DRM-infested books as a matter of principle, as all forms of DRM are susceptible to obsolescence. And it seems to me that the works of Joseph Campbell are exactly the kind of books that a person might want to read and re-read in ten or twenty years time and pass on to their children... all of which is either impossible or not sure to work with DRM in place.