A Joseph Campbell Companion-Reflections on the Art of Living

This is a forum to discuss specific questions, thoughts and issues raised in the books (paper and electronic) that are part of The Collected Works of Joseph Campbell.

Moderator: David_Kudler

David_Kudler
Working Associate

A Joseph Campbell Companion-Reflections on the Art of Living

Post by David_Kudler »

The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are—Joseph Campbell

One of Joseph Campbell's most popular, most quoted works, A Joseph Campbell Companion: Reflections on the Art of Living is a treasure trove of insight and inspiration, thought-provoking in its depth, poetic in its scope.

Drawn from a month-long workshop at the world-famous Esalen Institute held in celebration of the scholar's eightieth birthday, the Companion captures Campbell at his best: wise, funny, intelligent and inspiring.

This book is now being made available for the first time as a digital download on JCF.org.

marodgers
Associate

Post by marodgers »

I gave this book to my daughter when she left for college. There's so much wisdom in it and may inspire her to look at Joseph Campbell's body of work in the future. Even if she doesn't get beyond this book, she'll have plenty to think about for a good, long while.

David_Kudler
Working Associate

Post by David_Kudler »

marodgers wrote:I gave this book to my daughter when she left for college. There's so much wisdom in it and may inspire her to look at Joseph Campbell's body of work in the future. Even if she doesn't get beyond this book, she'll have plenty to think about for a good, long while.
I found myself quoting snatches to my teenage daughters. They were very indulgent—but I agree with you, it's full of inspiration of many kinds.

I pull quotes from the books that I'm editing for our quotation database; I found myself pulling phrases and sentences off of nearly every page.

Do you—or anyone else—have any particular favorite bits?
David Kudler<br>Publications<br>Joseph Campbell Foundation<br>publications at jcf dot org

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Dear David; I cannot say enough about this book. Since it came out in 1991 I have used it as a tool to access Joseph Campbell's themes and tennets to impliment them in my life. It has for me been invaluable to taking practical every day kind of approaches of his philosophical insights and directly applying them in an individual way. Not only in everyday living but in the navigation of my life's course this book has been a constant resource by my side to help me understand my life and what Joseph Campbell's work was trying to say. Each individual life is unique and different works by Campbell may speak to others for their needs. But as the title suggests it is a reflective and I think meditative companion that can be a wonderful addition to anyone's JC collection. Sincerely, JamesN.

Nermin
Associate

Post by Nermin »

Ageless wisdom in latest technology, huh? :)
Thanks, David

lancimouspitt
Associate

Post by lancimouspitt »

I love this book possibly more than anything else Campbell put out.
A few of my favorite parts include Campbell talking about slave and master morality. As well as mentioning the story of the little monk,who after releasing a few animals into the wild found himself taking sides.
A ship is safe in harbor,but that's not why a ship is built.

lowam
Associate

Post by lowam »

I am new, as of today, to this lovely website memorializing and promoting Joseph Campbell's immense contribution to whomever wishes to enrich their lives. Diane K. Osbon's book was my first introduction to Joseph Campbell. I remember the event well...

I walked into a now out of business single owner bookstore in Walnut Creek, CA looking for a 40th birthday present for a very good friend. That friend will turn 60 next year. After entering the front door of the bookstore I turned to the left browsing a shelf of new releases and there it was, "Reflections on The Art of Living, a Joseph Campbell Companion." That title was just too much to pass up and so I opened and began reading . From the first excerpts my mind erupted..."The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are." " Life is without meaning, you bring the meaning to it." Powerful stuff.

I read until I realized I had to purchase two copies; one for my friend and...you guessed it, one for me which I continue to read until today. Much lLike a maintenance worker on the Golden Gate Bridge who starts at one end and by the time he finishes it is time to go back and start again, I re-read this wonderful book over and over.

The most redeeming value of this book is that each section is like a separate book or topic that anyone can spend endless hours, days, weeks, or even a lifetime immersed in all its meanings.

Thank you for having me as an Associate Member. I hope I can bring something worthwhile to the table. Happy New Year!

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Iowan;

A Most Hearty Welcome !

Please make yourself at home; look around; get comfortable and familiar with the place. Lots to explore and the moderators are most helpful.

What a beautiful post on Diane Osbon's book. My feelings as well.

Enjoy ! :D
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Hi, lowam, and welcome! :)

Cindy
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung

lowam
Associate

Post by lowam »

My name is Bill and thank you for your welcome. It is nice to know that at least 1 member out of the 23,000 listed as members, responded to my simple post.

Bill Massarweh

Sage Advice_18
Associate

Fresh Meat

Post by Sage Advice_18 »

Newbie here!

I was first introduced to Joseph Campbell by a friend who had streamed some of his lectures that were on Netflix, the Mythos I and Mythos II lectures. I was hooked. I had told a friend about it and he had one of his books called The Power of Myth. He lent it to me and I could not put it down. I can safely say that it is the most influential book of my life. It gets me thinking, it broadens my perspectives, and inspires me to no end.

I have bought all my friends and family a copy of the Power of Myth and it has brought us closer on a completely different level.

Thank you for this site, Im honored to be a part of it. Hope to write again soon and discuss, discuss, discuss!!!!

romansh
Associate

Re: Fresh Meat

Post by romansh »

Sage Advice_18 wrote:
I have bought all my friends and family a copy of the Power of Myth and it has brought us closer on a completely different level.
Welcome Sage
I have to agree about the PoM. Some interesting if not life changing insights there.

have fun
rom
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

Ercan2121
Associate

Post by Ercan2121 »

I found what i’m looking for in the book; a single word,
Yamabushi, the ‘dreaming warrior’ (in my understanding).
And that’s mind-blowing to find that the warrior’s approach
to life can be about saying ‘yes’ to everything :(

Tfik
Associate

Post by Tfik »

Hello to all,
I have just joined this site in the hope of engaging discourse concerning the understanding of Mr Campbell's work. I have been an avid fan for quite some time and am of the conviction that discussing his work should lead to a greater understanding or to furthering the inquisitive nature of our being.
I have read several of the posts in this forum and have so far seen nothing but admiration and an almost deification of Mr Campbell. Nothing wrong in that, you may say and in as far as it goes I might agree but, but but is that the point, is that what he would have wished for us?
Deification is what has happened to many of the prophets and sages from the past but praising the prophets does not move you personally one iota further along the road to understanding.
Understanding can only take place once experience has etched its mark onto your life. Experience then is the key.
So with that said, should we not be sharing or engaging or enquiring into the experiences of our peers, our fellow aspirants and attempting to gain greater experience. for ourselves.
With that said experience of what.
Can we indeed share our experiences anyway or are we relegated to another talking shop.
Could it be said that in order to take the next step, to rise to the challenge then we should leave the confines of our current surroundings and go into the world we do not yet know, to places that challenge our current understanding rather than grouping together with like minded people who in the main already agree with us. What value does continuous agreement arrive at.
It therefore begs the question why the Foundation at all other than to disseminate the information.
I hope my first post has not angered anyone rather that it may provoke responses that could be construed as being of value rather than purely of defence of the Foundation. My intention is not to attack or denigrate in any way but to open an altruistic discussion rather than being very polite, politically correct and praising a man that although extraordinary in his understanding would in my humble opinion not wish to be held up as some kind of Guru. He had a teaching yes but to share with us not to teach down to us.

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. »

Hi, Tfik, and welcome!

Your point is well taken, of course, but please keep in mind that this board may be the only available outlet for many like-minded folks to share their studies of Campbell and to learn more. Also, a distinction between "deification" and strong appreciation can be made, I think, for most of us here. In my opinion, take away from Campbell what personally resonates, then make it one's own in whatever way may suit best.

All the same, it so happens that I, anyway, have taken exception with some of Campbell's ideas about women, and if interested, you could take a look starting with this post. In that conversation I also mirror some of your own notions about the individual path.

Care to offer more? No doubt other posters will find your thoughts of interest, too. And please do share your personal experiences as you're comfortable with.

Cindy :)
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung