Media and Role Models

Introducing people of all ages to mythology... in pre-college educational curricula, youth orgs, the media, etc. Share your knowledge, stories, unit and lesson plans, techniques, and more.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Nermin
Associate

Post by Nermin »

JamesN. wrote: Indeed there are tools like " Google " as suggested for finding information; and for the most part it is true I think that there are many fine folks who are absolutely making an important difference. And that is part of the point of the idea I am trying to get at here; ( but not all ). One of the main questions for me concerning this topic of " Media and Role Models " is: " Where do these aspirations come from? " and " Who or what is determining those values and what qualities do those values contain? " This to me says: " Image ".
Media has to talk to the crowd, James and that’s something that I find a little menacing
because it keeps people within the boundaries of an ultra-thin interval –lots of clichés
and especially that pathetic illusion about becoming/remaining normal, adequate
and around the average – is-this truly a basic human need?

I know well that our mythical realm is very risky and often one walks like a lone hand
but apparently there can be no growth, no fresh breath and no great charm on the other side.

I only watch the news and turn back to my books.
The best Paris I know is the one depicted by Hemingway.
At the least, this gives me the privilege of reading a keen novelist
and make my day :D
True friendship is based on trust, honesty and sincere generosity of our hearts

Nermin
Associate

Post by Nermin »

When we came back to Paris it was clear and cold
and lovely. The city had accommodated itself to
winter, there was good wood for sale at the wood and
coal place across our street, and there were braziers
outside of many of the good cafes so that you could
keep warm on the terraces. Our own apartment was
warm and cheerful. We burned boulets which were
moulded, egg-shaped lumps of coal dust, on the
wood fire, and on the streets the winter light was
beautiful. Now you were accustomed to see the bare
trees against the sky and you walked on the fresh-washed
gravel paths through the Luxembourg
Gardens in the clear sharp wind. The trees were
sculpture without their leaves when you were
reconciled to them, and the winter winds blew across
the surfaces of the ponds and the fountains blew in
the bright light. All the distances were short now since
we had been in the mountains.
& I hope you'll tolerate this heartbeat if I dare quoting from Hemingway;
from his 'A Moveable Feast' of course :)
What would Paris do without those romantic Americans?

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Nermin said:
Media has to talk to the crowd, James and that’s something that I find a little menacing
because it keeps people within the boundaries of an ultra-thin interval –lots of clichés
and especially that pathetic illusion about becoming/remaining normal, adequate
and around the average – is-this truly a basic human need?

Nermin;

Anthropology has shown that the human species has a " primal " need to belong to a group. ( Sociologically speaking ); Cindy would be a more quailified source to comment on this. However; I believe it is very evident that advertisers exploit; ( to the most extreme degree ); the human need to belong and peer group influences for their profit and purposes. ( The Fastfood and Auto Industries and the " Gun and Oil Lobbyists " here in the US would be a good illustations of this. )

I also think it could be assumed that given the dependence that most of global society is evolving towards concerning the way information is obtained that Corporate influence is growing ever larger. This means ( dollars ) generated by the sale of commercial products through advertising through all forms of media in market-based societies is going to be influenced. And with the emergence of giant " multi-media/multi-national " Corporations like: Time-Warner, Gannett, Fox, MSNBC-General Electric, Sony; just to give a tiny fraction of the examples; ( which names are probably now out of date ); one can almost guarantee this influence will grow even stronger. And with this in mind I think the term " menacing " is probaly too mild.

The term ( wasteland ) applied here I think could not be more appropiate. And Joseph Campbell's insights on how to interprete one's surroundings and then find and live out the individual journey and adventure of existence and still keep a sense of mental and emotional balance within ( that context ) could not be more relevant; ( IMHO ). :idea:

Addendum: Sorry Nermin but I missed your post alterations you made. :wink:
Last edited by JamesN. on Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Nermin

Although there is an interesting connection to the " Lost Generation " writers in your quote of which Hemingway was one of the major figures; ( we should also be aware of straying too far from the subject here. I will try not to stray in my explanation; but this is also just a gentle reminder that this is drifting from the thread's original topic. :idea: )

" Paris " and the ( modern art movement ) reflected in the Arts during this period; represented a gathering place at this moment in time that was most significant. Not only because of the cheap rent and the like-minded artist community who had assembled there; but also because later they had all been affected by devastation of the 1st World War and realized the " world had changed ". And although the actual art movement itself had started earlier around 1907; it continued on in it's development up through 1930. The older consciousness and mindsets of 19th century Europe had been shattered because of the war by such things as " mechanized warfare "; and a new kind of ( view ) of " modern man " was emerging. Much of this sense of change was reflected in their work; and it's reverberations continue up until today. And part of this understanding had to do with a kind of " dehumanized vision " of mankind. A " homginization " of culture that was interpreted as a new vision of modern society with the " consumerisum " oriented forms of economic activity. There were people that understood in different ways some of the these changes that were taking place and it was reflected in their art. Picasso was one example; Hemingway was another one; although these interpretations from these various artists manifested itself in many uniquely different ways. ( These changes from the old world to new is part of the referenced connection I mentioned ); ( but of course in a much more mutated form ). A much more extreme product of this changing landscape was to emerge later in Germany with the rise of the Nazi regime's Third Reich and of course the Second World War. As the nuclear age dawned with the splitting of the atom a threshold was passed and now we entered the " nuclear-arms " race and the " Space Age ". Then the " Information Age " and the Internet; and Bio-Technology and the Human Genome; and so on and so on. ( See what I mean about wandering off topic ? :wink: )

But when Joseph Campbell was in Paris during that particular period it affected him profoundly. This was referred to in the DVD " The Hero's Journey " especially concerning his conversations with Sylvia Beech at the famous bookstore: " Shakespeare and Co. " concerning his efforts to understand James Joyce's " Finnegan's Wake ". And even further when he became aware of the same mythological theme's and motifs in much of the artwork and paintings that he saw in the American Indians folkloric traditions. And when he came home he changed the course of his life to pursue his own personal quest towards a new intuitive search of understanding as he continued on in his individual studies until he was offered the teaching position at Sarah Lawrence.

( Now although I'm referring to all of this in a very generalized sense as much of my interpretation came from several different documented sources which would take this subject even further away from where we originally were. ) But I will include a link to a documentry done by PBS I have posted elsewhere on the forums here that will give a pretty comprehensive overview or background on what was happening in ' Paris " in particular with the emergence of the " Modern Art " movement containing Painting and the visual Arts, Music, Dance, Writing and so on and it's effects on modern life as a good reference:

http://www.pbs.org/programs/paris/
Last edited by JamesN. on Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ercan2121
Associate

Post by Ercan2121 »

CarmelaBear wrote:
Hello Ercan. I still think we are changing the world. Remember the butterfly effect, and believe that something we are doing is making more than a difference.

~
The greatest gift I think, is our own growth in consciousness, Carmela.
Our thoughts and feelings constantly seem to determine what we do but our acts
have also some ability to change our perception and even all our philosophy -in their turn.
Isn't there obviously a reciprocal relation here?

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

In reference to Media oulets role in global information access.

Here is a perfect example of how multi-media coorporations are controling internet prices and access to high-speed internet that just aired on " Bill Moyers and Co. "; ( the same journalist that brought Joseph Campbell into the world spotlight ).

Very interesting look at where access to information may be heading: :idea:

http://billmoyers.com/segment/susan-cra ... nd-unfair/

Nermin
Associate

Post by Nermin »

JamesN. wrote: In reference to Media oulets role in global information access.

Here is a perfect example of how multi-media coorporations are controling internet prices and access to high-speed internet that just aired on " Bill Moyers and Co. "; ( the same journalist that brought Joseph Campbell into the world spotlight ).
Truly interesting, James.
Once we called Internet 'the anarchical society' and it was reallly anarchical
with all copyright infringements and so on. Now the system is taking over by and by
and everywhere :(

Nermin
Associate

Post by Nermin »

The TV shows themselves also contain merchandized " Images " created specifically for the purpose of product sales; ( like action figure dolls of the charactors themselves ); with storylines or plots and even music or theme songs to accompany the " experience " that the child is having; ( all employed for the direct purpose of the selling of product ).
James,

I won't deny that Mass Media also has an ethiccs of its own.
It's a big responsibility to talk to general public including minors and all other
sub-segments of any modern society and sometimes this necessitates another
kind of image than what you mention, for instance about an ideal family life or
an ideal society -especially in Europe.

There's an effort to stimulate and inspire people for better, however
by no means these inspirations can surpass the norms of a given society;
this in turn, being strictly determined by the laws in effect.

And laws often represent the system and -excuse me but- mediocrity
rather than heroism :(

Ercan2121
Associate

Post by Ercan2121 »

Nermin wrote: There's an effort to stimulate and inspire people for better
& problems arise when the media pictures them larger than life. The image then
becomes a painful iron mask that doesn’t let the person behind breathe (!) with all
the imperfections that are making this person a human being :idea:

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Ercan2121 wrote:
Nermin wrote: There's an effort to stimulate and inspire people for better
& problems arise when the media pictures them larger than life. The image then
becomes a painful iron mask that doesn’t let the person behind breathe (!) with all
the imperfections that are making this person a human being :idea:
On a small, local scale, I've been there. Painful.

:!:
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Here is good news from George Lucas that sets a great example for Media and Role Models: :idea: 8)

http://news.yahoo.com/george-lucas-prop ... 32905.html

CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear »

Harmless.
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Carmala,

In all due respect I could not disagree more. George Lucas is not only leaving his personal 40 year art collection as his legacy; but $300 million of his own money to get it started. The endowment if accepted; will have $400 million when the museum opens and another $400 million when he dies. This is not about Lance Armstrong's kind of behavior. As to the term " harmless "; I think it is a pretty significant statement on his part about what he feels is important and about giving back. It's is a statement about his love of the Art; not about self-absorbed glory or " ends justfies the means "! :idea:

Cheers

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. »

Speaking of George Lucas this article just appeared about the next series installment: " Star Wars VII ". :o

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-tal ... 15308.html

JamesN.
Associate

Re: Media and Role Models

Post by JamesN. »

JamesN. wrote:It has occured to me as of late that a good topic for discussing some of the relevance of Joseph Campbell's work might be utilized by looking at what role the media has in presenting the personalities of public figures in the news and what the effects are in the developement of what culture aspires towards surfaces.

Hopefully this may encourage some thoughtful insights.

Hey everyone; this is a nice example of the more positive aspect of " media and role model " that has connected with people on the internet. 8)

http://shine.yahoo.com/pets/schoep-arth ... 00152.html